Friday, May 8, 2009

Windows 7 RC virtualized on Xen

Yep, downloaded a copy of Windows 7 RC and a corresponding product key. Installed and now fully virtualized under SLES 11 Xen... no hacks, no tricks, it just worked... the way I like it. Yeah! senyum



The installation experience for Windows 7 RC is smooth and painless coz it made all my choices for me... how sweet?! siul All I had to do was to tell it to do a fresh install and choose the target disk! hah Of course, post-installation requires me to create a user account and password followed by activating the product with the product key. No fuss, no stress installation for an end user desktop.

The installation experience for SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 is pretty close too in terms of ease and yet gives me more options at install time to configure the system the way I want it... I welcome the arrival of Windows 7, as iron sharpens iron, it just gets better (progress) as opposed to a monopoly and innovation suffers. senyum

4 comments:

  1. And what kind of hard disk type did you choose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the "Create a Virtual Machine" wizard (vm-install), I selected Windows Vista (Fully virtualized) under the "Type of Operating System" in step 3.

    Here are some of the relevant values from the generated domU config file:

    name="Win7RC"
    memory=1024
    maxmem=1024
    vcpus=1
    builder="hvm"
    device_model="/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
    kernel="/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
    boot="c"
    disk==[ 'file:/var/lib/xen/images/Windows7RC/disk0,hda,w', ]
    stdvga=0
    vnc=1
    vncunused=1
    apic=1
    acpi=1
    pae=1

    usb=1
    usbdevice='tablet'

    serial="pty"

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that the 32 or 64 bit version of Win 7?

    ReplyDelete
  4. aftyde,

    Its 32-bit version of Win7RC running off my 64-bit SLED 11.

    ReplyDelete